- One in four students suffers with mental health problems
- Research commissioned by UniHealth revealed that 82% of university aged students suffer from anxiety
- The number of pupils worrying about exam results has increased by 9% since 2015
- Studies have shown that Mindfulness helps over 80 percent of young adults with the reduction of anxiety symptoms
University Applications - Top Tips to Combat Stress
- Choose a university to suit you and no one else. The feeling of loss of control is a primary cause of stress. The act of taking control is empowering, and it's a crucial part of finding a solution that satisfies you and not someone else.
- Studies have shown that money has a major impact on anxiety. To combat this, focus on the positive aspects of your day, even if they’re only small, to lift your mood and help you focus on solutions to university finance worries.
- Sleep plays a vital role in your overall health, and lack of sleep can worsen an already stressed life. An average of six to eight hours of sleep each day is recommended to avoid or reduce stress and anxiety.
- Keep a diary: Letting off steam by writing down your feelings in a diary or poem can avoid stress build-up, says Dr Matthew Lieberman, a neuroscientist at the University of California.
- Setting aside a few moments to reflect on how you pulled through other stressful situations can help you reconnect with your resilient side. If you have a brain block, don’t panic, and think of a method you used to overcome the feeling before.
- Take small, regular breaks. Studying for stretched hours without taking any breaks may lower your retention power and make you more stressed. Take breaks for fun every two hours to remain fresh for longer and remain content.
- Know that it's okay to be indecisive. Don't get caught in the habit of thinking you need to know your entire life plan at this stage. You can learn from all your experiences and know what to look out for next. Life is one big learning curve after all.
Stress Busting Apps:
- Sleep Cycle
- Pacifica - Stress & Anxiety
Don't forget to check out our University Applications guide to get in-depth tips and advice of the whole process.
If you would like to share this image on your website, please email firstname.lastname@example.org